Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Rocks

So I am usually not that interested in rocks, and I don't know a lot of people that are, but when you are female and live in a tiny town in Alaska (with zero shopping) in the middle of winter it can be quite entertaining. Estelle and I were driving into Kenai yesterday to go the grocery store and passed by a thermometer that said it was 47 degrees!! We quickly decided that we needed to take advantage of this unusually warm weather and do something outside. We flipped a u-turn, went back to the house and picked up the stroller so we could go to the beach which is right in town. We got to the beach and I learned that the local beaches are all covered with really cool rocks and agates. We spent about 45 minutes picking out some really unique rocks, but I did not have enough room in my pocket for all that I saw. There were all sorts of colors and patterns including many which were granite, which was strange to see in rock form and not on a countertop.

I tried to get a good picture of Mt. Redoubt and the mountain range but it was cloudy. On a clear day though this would be a beautiful picture. You can see a little steam coming out from the top, it has been steaming for quite a while now.
The beach is quite different from those on the Wa and Or coast. First of all, this is actually a bay, so there are no waves, bummer. It is very rocky and the sandy parts are mostly covered by ice and snow still. And of course, most people never go swimming in this water, even in the summer, way to cold!

The tide is out in both of these pictures and you can see a couple ice chunks out in the water.

We finished out the evening with this super yummy apple pie and games!

No comments:

Post a Comment