Sunday, March 21, 2010

Homer Anniversary





Our 3rd anniversary was Wednesday March 17th. We decided it would be fun to take an overnight trip to Homer AK since we had both heard it was so beautiful. Homer is located about 1.5 hours South of Kenai on the peninsula. Since we both worked during the week we rented a car and left Saturday late morning and returned Sunday afternoon. I was able to get a employee discount at the Land's End Resort which is located at the end of the Homer Spit, in the Kachemak Bay. I know what you are thinking, what is a spit? It is a landform that is connected to land at one end and the far end exists in open water. The Homer spit is very narrow, just wide enough for a road and some small beaches, the far end is wider and contains the resort, some condos, shops and boat launches. The town contains many art galleries and a few small boutiques and home shops. The view is absolutely unbeatable, the pictures I have taken don't do it justice, the only way to experience these majestic mountain views is to come to visit us here! Hint-hint! Homer was a great way to celebrate our anniversary, we had a wonderful time! Enjoy the pictures :)
This is a lighthouse I caught a picture of on the drive to Homer.
This is our drive into Homer, if you look close enough you can see the Homer Spit extending into the water. At the very end of the spit is where the resort is located. The resort has a panoramic view of the entire mountain range you see here. It is a little cloudy in this picture, just imagine what it would look like on a perfectly clear day!
Here we are on the spit, there are many charters and different shops that open up during the summertime.
Sorry for the vulgarity of this picture, but we couldn't resist! This particular gift shop had many funny moose poop gifts. The little character on the end of the bill is an actual lacquered moose terd! They also had moose poop shish-cabobs, moose poops in a jar, moose poop jewelry etc.
Adam has been here too long, he is starting to turn into a moose.
The visitors center in Homer was like a museum, it had many interactive displays to learn from. A lot like Omsi on a much smaller scale, and all about Alaska.
Here we are on the Homer spit beach on our way to the resort.
We had dinner Saturday night in the Chart Room, the resort's restaurant. A little expensive but we had a beautiful view of the water and mountain range in the background.
The next morning (Sunday) on the resort's deck as the sun was coming up. Beautiful!
The sky started to clear up Sunday morning giving us a better view of the mountains.
As we were loading up our car to head home Sunday morning, Adam pointed out all of the bald eagles. They were everywhere, kind of like seagulls at the beach, or pigeons in New York! Everywhere you looked you would see one, here is one in the parking lot.
One on top of a light pole.
On the rooftops.
We stopped at the Homer spit beach on our way out of town to snap a few more pictures of the majestic mountains.
Mountains everywhere.

At the beach, Adam caught glimpse of two eagles roosting on a driftwood log. He got some really amazing pictures, and was able to get really close, about 15 feet away. Here are just a few of them.
Don't these look like postcard pictures?


I love this one!
Such beautiful birds!
Adam was making friends with the local fishermen!
I love my Eskimo Kiss salt and pepper shakers that I bought at the gift shop, they have magnets at there foreheads. Aren't they cute!?
Since I wrote a blog about rocks, I figured I would include the rocks we picked up in Homer. Notice the cool shell, it is broken on one end, but has a cool plant growing on it!

1 comment:

  1. You are right! Your pictures look like postcards, absolutely unreal! The eagles are so funny. The pair remind me of some old married birds I know :)
    I'm glad you guys could get out and have some fun!!

    ReplyDelete