Every summer alaskan residents take part in what is called dip netting. Fishermen and women from all over Alaska come to the Kenai Peninsula to dip net in the mouth of the Kenai and other various rivers in the area. You can dip net from the bank or from a boat. People are allowed a certain number of fish depending on the size of their family, I think Scott and Estelle were allowed a max of 45 fish (red salmon). Adam and I tagged along this year to see what it was all about, although technically we were not allowed to do anything with the fish. We used a boat that Scott's dad had fabricated years ago, and set sail in Kasiloff Alaska at Scott's grandparent's commercial fishing dock.
Below, I made Butch booties so he does not scratch the floors when we move into the cabin! I think he is embarrassed that I am taking a picture of him!

Keenan (Adam's brother) came from Washington for a few weeks and joined us on our dip netting adventure.
Estelle, Keenan, Adam and I.

Lowering the boat into the water with a crane.

Adam modeling his chest waders! Very stylish!

A dip net.

People dip netting from the bank as we float by. A lot of people spend hours and hours standing in the water all day trying to catch the salmon making their way up river to spawn.

The end result. I think they caught about 55-60 salmon, they were split between a few families that dip netted on the boat.

See dip netting video below!
No comments:
Post a Comment